The Laboratory of Machine Elements and Machine Design (LMEMD) belongs to the Design and Structures Department of the School of Mechanical Engineering of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
It was founded in 1973 as Chair of Machine Elements. In 2002 it was assigned its current legal status and it was included in the Design and Structures Department.
The educational activities of the Laboratory of Machine Elements & Machine Design include many courses to the students of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Courses include tribology, machine elements, strength of materials and others.
The research activities cover the fields of engineering design, EHL, tribology, strength analysis and fatigue testing of machine elements as well as complete machines
The Laboratory of Machine Elements & Machine Design was headed by Prof. Dr. Ing. Robert Grekoussis until his recces in 1992. Prof. Dr. Ing. Georgios Athanassiadis took over and directed the Laboratory until he died in 2007. From 2007 until 2019 the Laboratory was directed by Prof. Athanasios Mihailidis.Laboratory Director:
To the undergraduate students of the Mechanical Engineering Deparment the Laboratory of Machine Elements & Machine Design offers the following courses
- Strength of Materials
- Machine Elements Ι
- Machine Elements ΙΙ
- Machine Elements ΙΙΙ
- Strength of Mechanical Constructions
- Experimental Strength of Materials
- Finite Element Method
- Boundary Element Method
- Mathematical Elements for CAD Systems
- CAD-CAE Integration
- Lifting and Conveying Machines
- Design Opimization of Structures
- Mechanical Behavior and Fatigue
- Automotive Engineering
- Introduction to Mechatronics
- Energy Conversion Engines - Work Machines
To the postgraduate students of the Intersectional Programme on Protection, Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Monument, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki it offers the course
- Laboratory training for Infrared Reflectography
The research activities of the Laboratory of Machine Elements and Machine Design (LMEMD) are focused on the following fields:
The Laboratory of Machine Elements and Machine Design (LMEMD) provides technical support in the following areas:
- Measurement of scuffing capacity of gear lubricants on a FZG-test rig of axial distance 92.5 mm according to DIN 51354.
- Friction coefficient measurements in a crossed-axes disk rig with axial distance 100mm.
- Fatigue tests on a pulser ± 500 kN (Schenck Hydropuls 50).
- Design and load carrying capacity calculation for spur and helical gear pairs according to DIN 3990.
- Design of machine elements and power transmission systems.
- Complete design and analysis of frames and car bodies.
- Stress and deformation analysis of general structures using the Finite Element Method (FEM).
- Software development of CAD (Computer Aided Design), CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) and CAD/CAE integration systems.
- Virtual Reality and Animation software development for the simulation of real objects and actions.
- Development of special algorithms for FEM, BEM and Computer Graphics.
Laboratory of Machine Elements and Machine Design ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI Director: Prof. Georgios Savvaidis / e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Egnatia & 3rd September str. Crossing Faculty of Engineering, Building D, 8th floor 546 24 THESSALONIKI GREECE Tel: (+30) 2310 996005 Fax: (+30) 2310 996037 Website: http://lmemd.meng.auth.gr/index.html e-mail: email@example.com